To guarantee the rights of patrons to a proper atmosphere in their use of the library by establishing basic conduct rules.
The Washington County Free Library welcomes everyone to use its facilities. In order to provide a friendly and safe place in which to read, study or work the Library has established the following rules:
Individuals failing to follow this policy will be asked to leave until the problem is corrected. There is also the possibility of suspension of Library privileges for failure to comply with these rules. The appropriate law enforcement agency will be called if necessary.
- Respect for the rights and needs of all Library users shall be maintained at all times. Use of the Library’s materials shall be supervised so that the broadest number of people can be served.
- All members of the public will conduct themselves so that they will not interfere, by their actions or speech, with the legitimate rights of other Library users.
- Conduct considered improper in the Library includes, but is not limited to:
- Public disturbances
- Physical abuse, assault
- Offensive or abusive language, talking in loud tones or other loud noises
- Using, possessing or being under the influence of alcohol or illicit drugs
- Abusive use of library facilities or equipment
- Food and beverages
- Offensive personal hygiene
- Harassment of others
- Indecent exposure and sexual acts
- Sleeping in the Library
- Patrons using the Library are requested to wear shoes and shirts.
- Patrons are prohibited from bringing animals into the library other than those aiding the disabled.
- In order to maintain a safe and pleasant environment for children and parents in the children’s area, adult patrons who are not engaged in Library activity which requires materials from the children’s area may be asked to relocate to other areas of the library.
- Library furnishings and materials are not to be rearranged or disarranged by patrons without permission of library staff.
- Packages, briefcases and any other container may be examined before patrons and staff leave the building. All Library materials shall be properly checked out before they may be borrowed.
- A security system protects the Library collection against unauthorized removals. All patrons and staff shall obey reasonable requests to determine what materials have activated the alarm when passing through the system.
- All patrons shall obey all reasonable requests of the Library staff.
Board of Trustees of the Washington County Free Library; Annotated Code of Maryland Article 21 Section 577A