|Drawing courtesy of Millie Marriner
Serving Washington County, Maryland, and the Cumberland Valley since 1898, the Washington County Free Library System is dedicated to serving the personal, educational, and professional information needs of our communities. WCFL promotes community enrichment and economic vitality by providing information and library materials in a variety of formats.
Founders of America's first bookmobile and the second oldest county-wide library system in the United States, we are proud of our years of service and innovation.
Governed by a dedicated Board of Trustees, WCFL is pledged to helping government, business, education, and community leaders reach Washington County's vision of excellence.
Washington County Free Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Message From the Director
The Administration Office's responsibility is to carry
out the Mission Statement of the Library.
The Mission of the Washington County Free Library System is to continually improve our service to the public by:
- Providing the public with free access to library materials in a variety of formats;
- Promoting Community enrichment, economic vitality and individual achievement through reading and lifelong learning;
- Helping people of all ages find information which meets their diverse personal, educational, and professional needs;
- Recognizing our responsibility to balance available resources to serve everyone in the community;
- Supplying the local government with state, national and worldwide connectivity;
- And providing leadership in cooperative and innovative library service.
2010 - 2011 Annual Report
2009 - 2010 Annual Report
- 2009 Annual Report
2012-14 Strategic Plan
Volunteering at the Library
If you are interested in volunteering at the library,
contact the Administration Office at Central, or the
Branch Manager at your local library, to obtain a Volunteer Application.
The Washington County Free Library participates in the
Board of Education 75 hour Community Service Program.
for community service hours are available at the Administration
Office of Central Library, or at your local branch.
We encourage you to perform your Community Service hours at the branch closest to your high school.
Materials Selection Policy
WCFL Materials Selection Policy
Mary Baykan - Director
Kathleen O'Connell - Assistant Director
Charlotte Seibert - Office Manager
Art Callaham - President
Kathleen Poole - Vice President
Al Martin - Treasurer