Spotlight News from WCFL
Digital copies of Marriage Records from 1886-1970.
We have exciting news! Digital copies of Washington County, Maryland Marriage Records from 1886-1970 are now available on our website! If you know the year you can browse through our collection here and print what you need. If you are looking for records, our searchable index database of Marriage Records includes Marriages Records from 1861-1919, 1927-1949, other years have not been indexed. (PDF records compiled, indexed and edited by Marsha L. Fuller, Certified Genealogist.)
If you need a certified copy you will need to contact the Marriage License Department at the Circuit Court for Washington County in Hagerstown. Mail your request to the Clerk of the Circuit Court, 24 Summit Avenue, Hagerstown, MD 21740.
Please include in your request:
- Names of Bride and Groom (Bride's name should be the name she used immediately before the marriage in question)
- Date of Marriage (Approximate year at minimum)
- A check or money order in the amount of $5.50 for the each certified copy requested, payable to the Clerk of the Court.
For further information, please call the Clerk's Office at 301-733-8660. For information about other available court records (e.g., Civil, Criminal and Land), go to the Circuit Court for Washington County’s website: http://www.courts.state.md.us/clerks/washington/records.html
New Opening Hours Effective 12/1/2016
Effective December 1, 2016 the library's opening hours will change. The Fletcher Branch in Hagerstown will begin operating at 10:00 am Monday through Saturday. It will continue to open at 1:00 pm on Sunday. All other Branches will open 1/2 hour later than their current schedule most days except weekends. You may pick up a new bookmark at any branch library with hours for all locations beginning November 1, 2016.
For individual locations, visit our locations page for more information.
Passport Services @ WCFL
Effective October 2016 we are pleased to announce that Alice Virginia and David W. Fletcher Branch of the Washington County Free Library is now an authorized Passport Acceptance Facility.
We offer Passport Book and Card Applications, Passport Photos and Expedited Services. Hours of Operation are Monday through Thursday 10:00 am - 7:00 pm and Friday & Saturday 10:00 am - 3:00 pm.
Visit our Passport Services page for more information.
New website design
The Washington County Free Library is pleased to present an updated website. It has been a while since we've updated our website. Here are a few new features that our website provides:
- Responsive Design (same website content if your on a PC or on your mobile device)
- Search feature available on website
- Less fluff, more content. Fewer images and more text for a nice clean design.
- RSS feeds are available on content that you'd like to be updated on.
- Stable database update. For our Genealogy users, we've updated the database to a stable platform to eliminate timeout issues.
There's lots to see in our new website, we hope you like our new design!